Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My INCREDIBLE friend........ Katelin

So this is probably the most meaningful and heart wrenching blog post I have had to make. Katelin has been bouncing through the doors of my childhood home for as long as I can remember and she is one of the strongest, energetic, caring, compassionate and beautiful people I know. She is like a family member to us and has been my sisters best friend from pretty much the day she was born.

In the last few months we got that news that just makes you sick to your stomach as Katelin told us she had found a lump in her breast. How can someone so young be going through this???? She has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently undergoing Chemotherapy. In a few months she will have a mastectomy and then radiation to follow. The one thing about all of this is........ Katelin is a fighter and if anyone can deal with this then she can! She is now on her way to kicking some cancer A**!

I remember Katelin and my sister in high school signing up for the rugby team even though they are tiny little girls! They are both so strong and have always been a great pair and always been there for each other. I am so glad they have each other to lean on! A few years back my sister faced some bad news concerning cervical cancer and Katelin was by her side the entire way. I know my sister is now more then happy to be able to help Katelin though her journey. It is also nice for Katelin to have someone so close who can understand what she is going though to some extent.

So ladies..... for those of you who don't have your yearly physicals and those who don't do regular breast examinations....... START! My sister was 24 when diagnosed and Katelin is only 27!

Katelin contacted me a few weeks ago and said she would really like to have some photos taken before treatment started..... I was thrilled to be able to do this for her. When I was home in NS two weeks ago we planned her shoot for a Monday evening. It poured rain and was dark cloudy all day and I was so disappointed since I wanted to get some beautiful sunset photos. Then all of a sudden at supper time...... the sun came out! It was amazing. We headed to this beautiful spot by a nearby river for her shoot.

Katelin - These images reflect the amazing women I see when I look at you! The photos give us the soul of who you are which is a reminder of just how lucky we are to have you in our lives! They remind me of how much fun we had taking your photos and how much laughter we have shared over the years (remember last summer's sexy boudoir shoot! lol). You and Ade are two of the biggest goofs I know and I LOVE you guys for it! I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I do and that they remind you of the beautiful person you are inside and out!

xoxoxxoxo Love: Melissa





















7 comments:

  1. These pictures are absoutly stunning and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures Katelin! and I love the ones of you and Ade! Thinking of you and your close friends and family through this awful time!

    Beautiful work Liss, you always take such great photos! Would love you to do some of the kids if you ever have time when you're home again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, what amazing pictures and she and your sister sound like AMAZING girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa these photos are stunning! You have managed to capture the true beauty of an amazing young woman!

    Katelin I wish you all the best through your treatments and you are in my thoughts often during this time! If anyone can get through something like this it's you!! And I'm happy that you have such amazing people in your life for you to lean on!!

    -xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa these pictures are stunning. Katelin is a strong inspiring young lady. Shes always been a fighter! Katelin your a beautiful women. Melissa great pictures.

    Jillian Smith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raylene Smith-HitchcockMay 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM

    Beautiful Photos of a Beautiful young woman. Katelin the few times I have been in your presents I have seen the inner beauty you project that lights up a room. I know you will get through this and very happy you have good friends to see you through. Love and prayers are with you. Raylene

    ReplyDelete